An absolute treat for those of us who dream of vanilla ice cream from their youth, this one fits the bill. You can add any good quality chocolate that is pleasing to your palate.
Preparation – 5 minutes
Cooking – 15 minutes
700 ml Jersey or breakfast milk
365 ml double cream or crème fraîche
200 grams unrefined caster sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
100 grams good quality dark chocolate – grated (add after processing in the ice cream maker)
- Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan with a heavy base, stir in the sugar.
- Warm over a low heat, while stirring until the sugar dissolves – the mixture should be about 170ºF.
- Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla.
- Allow to cool, cover and chill overnight in the fridge.
- Transfer to your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer´s instructions.
- Stir in the grated chocolate, transfer to a sterilised freezer proof container, cover and place into the freezer until solid.